We want you to be aware of scam artists that can sometimes target utility customers. Scams can come in many forms and being diligent is the best way to combat these scammers.
Customers have reported receiving calls stating that if payment is not made immediately, their electric service will be terminated the same day. The callers also are directing customers to purchase "pre-paid" type credit cards to pay off the alleged amount due.
Additionally, some customers have reported individuals, posing as utility workers, knocking on their doors claiming to be "from the power company" then attempting to gain access to the home. In these instances, the criminals often work in pairs, with one person distracting the customer while the accomplice steals money and/or valuables in another part of the residence.
Following are some of the precautions customers may take to guard against scam artists.
Avoiding Phone Scams
- Duquesne Light does not call customers on the day of a scheduled termination for non-payment.
- Duquesne Light does not ask customers to purchase any type of pre-paid cards.
- Never provide credit card or other payment information if you are unsure if the caller is legitimate.
- If you are unsure that a call actually was from Duquesne Light, call us back at 1-888-393-7100 to verify.
- Customers suspecting they may have been targeted by scam artists should contact Duquesne Light, the Pennsylvania Bureau of Consumer Protection (1-800-441-2555) and their local police. They also are encouraged to file a complaint with the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General.
Avoiding Door-to-Door Scams
- The vast majority of Duquesne Light's work is external. In those rare instances when an employee may need to enter a customer's home, it would be scheduled in advance.
- Duquesne Light employees wear company ID badges and generally drive vehicles marked with a company logo. Always ask to see the company ID of individuals claiming to be from Duquesne Light.
- Customers who are unsure if someone is actually a Duquesne Light employee should ask the individual to wait outside, then call Duquesne Light at 1-888-393-7100 to verify.
- Customers suspecting a scam should not allow the individual to enter their homes. Instead, they should notify Duquesne Light by calling 1-888-393-7100 and call their local police.
Identity Theft Protection
We take the protection of your identity and your personal information very seriously. If you have been a victim of identity theft or if you simply want to further secure your account information, please call us. We will add a password to your Duquesne Light account so that unauthorized parties cannot access your information. From that point on, we will ask you to verify your password (in addition to our standard verification of identity) in every contact you make with us whether by telephone or via the Internet.
If you forgot your password and would like it removed from your account, please have a notary verify your identity by completing the form below. Mail your completed notarized statement and a copy of your driver's license to:
Customer Service Correspondence Dept 6-9
Duquesne Light Company
411 Seventh Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15219